Thursday, January 9, 2014

the past is a story we tell ourselves

"are you in a tostitos phase or a stacy's phase?" - my old roommate, in lieu of asking me how i am doing




it is atrocious how little reverence we have for the elderly in our culture



"a tangential noninteraction"


today i was standing on the subway platform, waiting for the train.  i was wearing black skinny jeans cuffed at the bottom with black doc martins and a black winter coat.  on my back was a heather green military-style canvas backpack.  

out of the corner of my eye, i saw another twenty-something caucasian male, wearing black skinny jeans cuffed at the bottom with black doc martins and a black winter coat.  on his back was a heather green military-style canvas backpack.

he saw me see him out of the corner of my eye.  
i saw him see me out of the corner of his eye.

when the train arrived, he moved to get on the same car as me.  we sat across from each other, on a diagonal.  we rode together the four train from union square to franklin avenue, seeing each other see each other out of the corner of our eyes.  

at franklin avenue, i got off.  he continued on with the train.

i'll probably never see that boy again.  it's no loss for me, because we are strangers; and to an outside eye, indistinguishable from each other.  

--


it was so cold today that my avocado un-riped itself on my walk home from the grocery store!




No comments:

Post a Comment