Friday, January 17, 2014

walking home in manhattan means you get pizza!

"you're too nice and too loyal." - the kid that i babysit, to me



karl is hogging all of the wood.


scrabble doesn't understand me!


"when you wonder what your next day is going to be like"


i am sitting at a round table in a diner on the upper west side--between a twelve-year-old boy talking about greek mythology and a mom-year-old mom talking about health insurance. it is a rare moment when my body's literal location amd my mind's metaphoric exisistential crisis-du-jour can be expressed by the same image.

i was charged with picking the kid i babysit up from school on a half-day.  his mom told me to take him out to lunch afterward, which i didn't know was code for, "go to the diner where all the kids and their moms go on half-days."  

my kid insists that we sit at at a table with his two best friends and thier moms.  on my left, the boys are talking about super mario and jello.  on my right, the moms are talking about planning ski vacations and afterschool programs.  i am equally uninterested and incapable of entering either conversation--and seemingly unwelcome in both. 

--


"you learn something screw everyday"


there was a time in my life
when i would
without question
take a cab home after i had mediocre sex.
that time is no longer.

--


today, for the first time, i thought about how fucked up it is that we have multiple pronouns to refer to female authority figures based on their marital status (ms./mz/mrs.), and only one for men regardless of their marital status (mr.).

--


whether or not your refridgerator door beeps when you keep it open is a sign of your class.  


No comments:

Post a Comment