Friday, July 5, 2013

this isn't where i was supposed to be on the fourth of july

"How soon?" - My dad, at the end of our phone conversation, when I told him that I would talk to him soon.


I missed the fireworks

but this morning, I saw these great crushed Skittles on the sidewalk.



"When Your Friends are your Parents"


There is
A certain kind
Of solitude
You feel
When you go to see the new Pedro Almodovar film by yourself.

You feel alone
Because you are alone.
You feel alone
Because everyone is speaking a language you don't understand.
You feel alone
Because it is a comedy
And no one told you it was a comedy
And you are the only one not laughing.

It is enough
To make you pack up
Your "to-go" container from Whole Foods,
Cut your losses,
And head home early.

It is probably important
For everyone to plan their own birthday party
At least once in their life.

--



I spent the entire bike ride up and down the Williamsburg Bridge trying to help my dad figure out what is Gmail username is.  Divided we fall!


No comments:

Post a Comment