Thursday, February 20, 2014

resplendent

"actually it was eighty two degrees and sunny and i went to the beach." - my sister, who lives in florida, when i tried to tell her that her bad mood was probably related to winter



the person in this car was listening to the new beyonce album at a deafening volume with the windows open--but a picture isn't really the best medium by which to capture that.



"two truths and a lie"



my mom taught me that when you are buying eggs, you should open the carton and make sure that none of them are broken before you check out.  she taught me that when you are shopping for clothes and you find an article that you like, take one in your size from the bottom of the pile--because not as many different people have tried it on.  my mom taught me that when you are baking a cake, you can't put it in the freezer for it to cool faster, because this will make the freezer think that it is warmer than it is and compensate by making itself much colder--which it will continue to do once you take the cake out and then everything in the freezer will ice over.

my mom's main piece of advice has always been, "if you have to ask yourself, would dee dee goldhagen do this? and the answer is no, then you probably shouldn't be doing it."  it echoes in my brain from years of repetition.  but upon not very close reflection, it's a pretty unfair standard to hold someone to.

she and i didn't talk much in the car when were driving to the airport to board a plane to new york city and drop me off at my freshman year of college.  about three quarters of the way there, she broke the silence.

"julian, trust me, sex is so much better when you are in love with the person."

this caught me off guard because we weren't previously talking about sex--we weren't even talking.  it also caught me off guard because this was the first time in my entire life that either of my parents even mentioned the word "sex" to me. (my sisters got "the talk" because they all started bleeding once a month and needed to be let in on what was going on--i was not so fortunate).  her advice made me uncomfortable, though we never spoke about it.

and upon not very close reflection, that's also a pretty unfair standard to hold someone to.

--


i think i'm lonely, but it might just be winter.


--


i don't like how ketchup has high fructose corn syrup in it!



No comments:

Post a Comment