Thursday, May 2, 2013

Building Community Through Food

"Try to allow yourself to let things matter." -My yoga teacher (who does not know that I am referring to her as 'my' yoga teacher)

Be careful around this hole!


"Every Man Thinks His Burden is the Heaviest"



I wanted to go into the water.
But they don't let you.
So I decided to see how close I could get.

First, I bought a popsicle,
Flavored 'Nectarine Chai'
(For the nonchalance).
It tasted peach.

Then I threw away the things I didn't need.

I walked down the stairs
And crossed 
The Westside Highway,
Which is no small feat
On two feet.

I thought
There must be a reason that
No one is on the pier
And that reason is because
There is a fence.

So I walked to the next pier,
Past a park I used to spend time in.

But I don't have
All the time in the world,
And on the way to the next pier
I found a bench and gave up.

I sat between 
The Westside Highway
And a fence,
Beyond which was the water.

The cars on the road behind me were loud,
The duck in the water in front of me was quiet.

I wrote this poem because I didn't know what else to do.

I left the bench
Because it felt like time.
I carried on foot
Away from the water.

But I was wrong--
Just passed the Westside Highway
I got sad again.

I picked up my bike
From where I had locked it.
I rode across the Westside Highway.
I stopped before I crossed
And closed my eyes 
To listen
To traffic.

I found a park.

I passed a friend who noticed my tears.

I sat on top of a grassy hill
Looking over the water.

And here I sit, 
Deliberating whether or not to call my mother.  

--



plans ALWAYS change.

No comments:

Post a Comment