Wednesday, May 22, 2013

people keep looking at me.

"Almost everything serious is difficult; and everything is serious." -Rainer Maria Rilke, to a young poet



Never too far from home

What Brooklyn looks like


"I Spilled my Latte on Myself"



I forgot you!

I forgot your name.
I forgot your face.
I forgot where you live!

I forgot sitting on a stoop with you,
Smoking American Spirits
And talking about feminism
Before were were
Each others'.
I forgot quitting together
After our first month.

I forgot about the time
You told me
I must be lying--
Because no person 
Could possibly be
As perfect
As me.

I forgot crying together
When we had sex.

What is sex?

I forgot meeting your family
At your mom's house
In Connecticut.
I forgot you meeting my family
At my sister's graduation
In Florida.
(I forgot splitting your airfare).

I forgot when we told each other
We were family.

I forgot stealing chocolate
From bodegas
With you.
I forgot stealing time with you.

Our favorite ice cream flavors,
The way your cologne smells
Like trees and candy,
I forgot sleeping face-to-face.

I don't remember 
If I've ever slept before!

I forgot how we used to
Breathe each other's air;
And summer skinny dipping
In that brook
By those houses; 
Or what we did
On top of that rock.

I forgot watching the sunrise
Together
The night we met.

Unopened promises.

I don't think we made 
Plans for the future.
Did we?

I'm really sorry,
I got a new phone
And I lost 
All my contacts.
Who is this?

--


Being a grown up is hard.

2 comments: